Weight Loss Tracker

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Growing Up Pains

How did you become more of a grown-up this year? Or did you pull a Peter Pan and stubbornly remain childlike?

2011 has been a year full of changes for me. At the end of 2010 I met someone that over the course of the past year, I've come to realize that I want to spend my life with. We still have obstacles to overcome, but I realized that though I can't have control over that situation, I can control how I use my time while we work through those obstacles.

A year ago, I would have gone out 5 nights a week with friends, spent way too much money on partying, tried to fill any voids I felt with new things, and not worried about pesky things like bills or my house. That's not the case anymore.

Over the past year I've grown up so much...so much that my group of friends has completely changed. Some didn't like the new me...the me that would rather buy a can of paint or new cabinet knobs than buy a round of drinks. The me that would rather paint my walls and install those knobs than go out to the same bar and have the same conversation with the same people.

I've become kind of a homebody. It's been an adjustment. Sometimes I miss the old, carefree me, but generally I don't. I like to spend my time cooking and working on projects in my wee little abode now. And though I can't control how things are going to end up when it comes to that special someone, I can focus on me and making my life better. Then if it does go the way I'm hoping, I'm ready for it!

3 comments:

  1. Keri, you should be extremely proud of yourself. You've made some hard choices and your writing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me tear up a little. My baby is growing into an amazing woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a truly awesome year for you in so many ways, and I've enjoyed not only seeing you grow up, but being a part of it. I love you so much, and I'm proud of the woman you're becoming. No matter what happens, I think you'll find you're in a much better place now than you were, and be a happier person because of it.

    ReplyDelete